Thursday, March 8, 2012

A Funny Thing Happened on the Way. . .

Has it really been more than a month since our last post?! YIKES! EEK! And c'est la vie!

A funny thing happened on the way to our next gathering. . .

Actually, lots of things happened, and the actu8 that Angie and I scheduled for March 10 isn't actu8ing after all. Instead, I'd like to take a few minutes to catch up with each of you via our BTW blog. Feel free to respond on the blog, on the BTW Facebook page, or by email - or phone, letter, surprise visit, etc.

As most of you know, Angie - after telling us at the last BTW evening about her anxiety over dental visits - had a dental visit followed by a severe physical reaction. So severe that she went to the ER, was administered heavy-duty pain meds, and has been taking follow-up physical therapy. Angie, we love you and are holding you up in prayer and warm thoughts! Meanwhile, she and I have continued to communicate about what BTW is shaping up to be, how excited we are, and how the road ahead looks to be filled with opportunities for friendship, growth and service.

Also in the meantime, I went to LA for a few days to babysit our youngest grandchild and brought him home for almost a week, followed by a sinus infection (for me) that may have come about through exhaustion and a flagging immune system. What we do to ourselves, right?

ALSO in the meantime, I've met an amazing, giving lady in Yuba City who funnels food to people in need (she goes around and collects it from local grocery stores, etc., sending very outdated food to folks with farm animals), takes in pets slated for destruction at a local shelter and finds new homes for them, and does other generous stuff. She is now sending food my way and telling me to do whatever I think is a good idea with it.

I have an idea. . .

Much of the produce and bread need to go straight into the freezer unless they're going to be eaten immediately. I'm cooking a big pot of veggie broth tonight to reduce and freeze. I got to thinking. . .

Would any of you be willing to come pick up this food occasionally, take it home and get it into the freezer in one form or another to be used later to supplement our Magic Baskets? If we included jars of homemade soup or casseroles sometimes, they could be a welcome addition to our baskets of love. Right now my freezer is stuffed with sourdough bread and other goodies that this kindly lady sent home with me. Note: She specified that I should use whatever I want to for our family. This would also go for any of you who wanted to help prepare and store this food.

I can continue picking up the boxes of food with our pickup. When necessary, I would put out a call for someone to take a turn picking up the food from here and deciding what to do with it. I'd sort through it first and toss really old/messy items to our chickens, etc.

Eivor Pfannkuch and Kathy Childers have sent home lovely bags of goodies for our next basket. Let's set a date of April 1st to have the next basket/baskets stocked and ready to be delivered. Do we have a nomination for someone in need of a Magic Basket?

Even though our momentum slowed due to other commitments, we are excited to keep moving forward with BTW. Please stay tuned for an imminent communication with dates for our next BTW meeting and "8" opportunities!

And, because our last round robin of email updates about what each of us has been doing since our last meeting was such a treat to read, I will start a new round robin tonight!

Warm hug to each of you. I miss you!
Erica

4 comments:

  1. I've been needing to clean out my freezer. I'm sure once I do I could find space to freeze some of the food & I'm right down the road so it would be easy to stop by to help when you need it. Just let me know what I can do to help!
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great, Anna! Thank you! :-) (I've been cleaning out my freezer to accommodate the food, too.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erica,
    Thank you for keeping the group in the loop and connected. You and Angie have created a wonderful avenue to help women celebrate their individuality and growth in new areas. I look forward to contributing to the next basket.

    Just an update, I have now been in California officially 1 year and you and many others have added comfort and joy to mine and Hayes' life out West. Naturally I miss my East Coast family and friends. However, I am thankful for Skype and Facebook to help me stay intouch with everyone.

    Thanks to Erica for nuturing the love of jewelry creating, and thanks to Susan Bell, for promoting a new love of Annie Sloan paints.

    I enjoy working at Butte Vista in the Learning Center, coaching Girls On The Run, being organizer of my Sacramento women's group along with other commitments. My son, Kris is doing well working in New York City and working toward his future goals. Hayes is doing wonderfully at St. Andrew as the Youth & Young Adult Pastor and our dog Praise is happy and growing more spoiled daily.

    I look forward to our next Between Women get together and look forward to the next new thing in all our lives.

    Go Us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jennifer, it's inspiring to witness what kinds of impacts you've made in the year since you moved to Northern California. Also hard to imagine that if Hayes hadn't taken that job, we wouldn't know you!

    ReplyDelete